Thursday, July 9, 2015

Plans For The Appalachian Trail

Some really exciting things have been happening and are going to be happening and I feel very strongly about wanting to document them. Since my chrome book died, and has looked like this for the last 4 months with the hopes of it being repaired, I took things into my own hands and replaced it.

RIP

In the next week I hope to do a few catch up blogs about the recent goals I've accomplished and the amazing places I've been, but right now I need to tell you all about what I'm preparing to do.

I found out a few months ago that I was going to have the opportunity to travel to Maine this summer. My family has a lake cabin near the small town of Rangeley. A cabin that my family literally built by hand, and this is the 100 year anniversary of that cabin. So most of the family are coming together to celebrate.

She's so pretty!

It wasn't long before I made the connection that the Appalachian Trail runs right through that small town of Rangeley. In case you'e not familiar, it's an approximately 2,200 mile long hiking trail that stretches from Georgia to Maine. It's one of the triple crown of long distance hiking trails, along with the Pacific Crest Trail and The Continental Divide Trail. Right away I knew I had to fit in some time on the AT. The plan has evolved quite a bit from my initial far fetched hopes.

I thought maybe we could drive across the country, stopping in national parks along the way to explore. Then have someone meet up with us to take our car the last stretch to the cabin so we could hike the AT practically right up to the cabin door. This was going to take waaaay too long so was quickly scrapped in favor of flying, hoping for more time on the AT and at the cabin and maybe a layover in Boston.

I became really attached to the idea of walking 100 miles for the 100 year anniversary. I was thinking I would do the 100 miles leading up to the cabin, or the last 100 miles of the AT, or 100 miles in Vermont that coincides with the Long Trail (the oldest long distance tail in the US), or 100 miles including the White Mountains. Every option had its pluses and minuses.

I was able to get approved for the long amount of time off of work, but husbands changing work situation wasn't going to allow him to be gone as long, so we had to shorten the distance and the overall trip and I had to give up my 100 mile goal, for this trip anyway.

I pouted for a while.

I had to pick a new smaller section. The one I want to do most, is arguably one of the harder sections according to many websites and guidebooks claiming to know about the subject. I looked to easier portions but kept coming back to the Whites. People kept telling me it was gonna be really really tough and I should consider if it was going to be too much of a challenge for our lack of experience.

I pouted some more and considered more options.

I want the view from Franconia Ridge. Nothing else was giving me the same feeling. It's  like it's calling to me.

Then during a overnight trip to the Cabinet Wilderness in Montana (I'll tell you all about this in one of those catching up blogs I'll get to later this week), we were struggling a bit and I had decided we weren't up to it. That the Whites and Franconia Ridge were out of our league. I was even mostly ok with having to surrender defeat. The next day, on Instagram, REI posted this picture of my ridge!



Is REI teasing me or unknowingly cheering me on? Call it a sign? I don't know. I feel like I have to at least try. So we are going for it!

The plan as it is now: Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch. I got my maps the other day. The feel of the waterproof maps gave me goosebumps. I'm simultaneously more excited and more nervous for this than anything else we've done so far.


My Mom, Katie, Bear dog and our backpacking gear are driving across the country, following the Oregon Trail, and meeting us in Boston next Saturday, they left yesterday in fact. We arrive late, so they will have already set up camp for us, and we will have a quick turn around, with some serious jet lag I imagine, as we get dropped off the next morning, IN FRANCONIA NOTCH, in New Hampshire. (EEEEEEEK!!!)Then my parents will take the kids up to Acadia NP while we are hiking. It will be a short first half day, followed by 3 full days, and another half day. Then my brother and his girlfriend will have just flown in and will pick us up, armed with clean clothes and deodorant, on their way to the cabin.

We will get to spend 8 wonderful days at the cabin. From there we will have easy access to many day hikes on and off the AT. I especially look forward to hiking Saddleback Mountain. It's kind of ironic, since my grandparents tried to get me to hike it on a previous visit as a teenager and I refused to go since I resisted anything that required any effort. How things have changed!

Every moment on the trail will be cherished. I am beyond grateful for this opportunity and to get a chance to be a part of this community of hikers. Seriously, I would be THRILLED if I get to chat with a through hiker in action! So far, it's teaching me to me flexible and willing to adapt my plans, on and off the trail.

And when I'm not hiking I will most likely be relaxing right here. So, yeah, it's gonna be amazing.
See you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! What a neat cabin and special anniversary. Post lots of pictures and have a great time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! Seriously, I can't thank you enough for your support and advice. And I can guarantee there will be a TON of pictures!

      Delete