Friday, April 24, 2015

Bike Swap 2015

I have a great appreciation for events, businesses, and individuals they allow people to have access to outdoor recreation equipment at a discount. It can be super expensive to get into a new activity and that can be discouraging and prohibitave for some to getting started. Making these things accessible  to those wanting to get started is important to me.

I recently had the opportunity to volunteer for the Spokane Bike Swap again. I absolutely love this event! It's a great opportunity to get a new or new to you bike at a reasonable price. This is where Josh and I got our bikes last year. Bikes we then used for our sprint tri and our 100 mile bike ride,  among other day to day adventures. I can't speak highly enough of this event and the wonderful people who organize it. In addition to being a great place to score a bike it is also a fundraiser for the Centennial Trail which is near and dear to my heart.

This year I showed up at volunteer orientation and was able to share my story and appreciation for the event with one of the organizers.  She responded with enthusiasm and had me retell my story multiple times and encouraged me to join the committee. I then sat at a table with a guy who must have overheard me and said, "Hey, I helped you pick out that bike!" Awesome. I had one of those I'm right where I'm supposed to be moments and I couldn't have been happier.

The bike swap appeared to be a great success and I was proud to be a part of it. I spoke with the lovely organizer woman from orientation night a few more times and grew especially fond of her. I hope our paths continue to cross and we have many more opportunities to work together.


No comments:

Post a Comment