Monday, July 13, 2015

Biking to Work

MAY-

Last year I helped Josh plan his bike to work route. I was so proud of him for doing it and jealous I didn't have a job away from the house to commute to also. I love driving up Washington Street, through Riverfront Park, and seeing all the joggers and cyclists, and I've longed to be one of them for some time now. This year I work at REI part time and have the opportunity to do just that. While I can hardly say I'm a regular bike commuter, I absolutely do whenever time allows.

I wanted to make some adjustments to the route we planned last year, so I spent the weeks leading up to my first ride scouring google maps for bike safe options and driving around scouting different route possibilities, and not loving any of them. The day before my first ride I finally found something I was comfortable with that didn't take me waaaay out of the way.

Here goes......
The first morning I set out on my commute, solo, and really nervous. I have ridden that distance before but not on the roads and not before work. It felt very different. By the end of my block I was aware of the muscles in my legs. I pulled out from my neighborhood street onto the main road with a bike lane. By the end of mile 1, the end seemed sooooo far away, and I was wondering if this was a bad idea.  The bike lane was then replaced by 2 lanes of traffic in either direction and I knew I was supposed to take a lane. I checked over my shoulder, causing me to swerve a little, before moving into the lane. I made a mental note to buy a rear view mirror for my helmet.

Yep. I'm that person now.
It was early on a Saturday morning so the traffic was minimal and the air was still cool. I flew down the first hill and remembered this was going to be fun. Then I slowly climbed over the 1st of 3 bridges on my route. My legs, that weren't yet conditioned to climbing hills, screamed at me, but I made it, and again sped down the other side. I glanced at my phone that was tracking my progress and I was already 1/3 of the way there.

I focused on pedaling and got into a nice rhythm. I felt great! I could totally do this. I rounded the corner leading to bridge Number 2. This one was a doosie. I pedaled my heart out. Up and up and up, just keep going, you can do this, don't walk I kept repeating to myself. When I made it to the top I stopped to catch my breath. That was the hardest part and it was over! Ok, feeling better.

I made my way along the road until I turned to connect with the Centennial Trail for the final stretch. 2/3 done! This is the best part of the ride by far. I slowed my pace to enjoy the surroundings, nodding and saying hello to others out enjoying the trail.

I went up and over the 3rd and final bridge without much trouble and was beaming with pride and excitement as I came down the other side and through the Gonzaga campus. I was about to be one of the people I admired passing through Riverfront Park. I had wanted to be right here doing exactly this for a year now and here I was. I appreciated the beauty of the river and the view of the city peeking up through the park. I admired the Pavilion and the clock tower that stood tall on the opposite side of the water. I grinned from ear to ear as I passed the big red wagon and the carousel.

Leaving the park I finished up the last couple blocks and pulled into the parking lot, 9 miles and a little under an hour after leaving my driveway. I was greeted by my boss (who has ridden her bike around the world) inside and we shared a really special moment of encouragement and support. I had been looking forward to completing this for a long time and I was a little overwhelmed. Again, my perception of myself shifted as I considered what I had done. I feel incredibly empowered.


I don't get to ride every day or even every week. Adding an hour each way of commute to my already long days is really tough. I ride when I can and I'm ok with that. Sometimes friends from work ride with me, and I'm grateful for their support and company. Sometimes I ride solo, and I'm totally ok with that too. Every time I ride a little faster, and I little more confident.

I am proud of this life I am living.



Cheers to secret squirrel routes and riding in the rain. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment