Friday, March 1, 2013

Small Victories

This week has been full of struggles and successes. At my weigh in last Friday I was 217 pounds, so my goal for the week was to loose at least 2 pounds to get below 215. On Saturday I went to a 45 minute "Butts and Guts" workout class followed by an hour long boot camp class at Health Yeah! with a couple of my workout buddies. It think one or the other would have been a better choice for me at this stage of the game. I was SUPER sore and pretty useless after that. I normally give myself one day a week to rest my muscles and this week I allowed for Sunday to be that day of recovery.

Then Monday rolls around and I was still a hot mess. I was having a hard time sitting to go to the bathroom, squatting down to do laundry, bending to load the dishwasher, getting down to change diapers and back up again; all the things things being a stay at home mom requires me to do constantly. I could barely stretch without pain so I decided not to work out. At this point I was really whining a lot and pretty grumpy. I then snacked on too many crackers then felt really guilty and mad at myself. Unfazed by my whimpering, my super awesome hubby decided to kick it up a notch and ran a mile for the first time ever! Then set the goal for himself to run a mile every day this week. Go Babe!

He has been waking up at 5 am so he can fit his workout in before he goes to work. So on Tuesday at 7 when I wake up he has already ran his second mile+, taken a shower and is getting ready for work especially bubbly talking about how much he is loving the post running endorphin rush. I'm trying not to be annoyed because I'm STILL sore and don't really want to work out.....but I know I need to.....I have to......so I did. 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes strength training and then 20 minutes on the treadmill running a mile and a half in intervals! I was so proud of myself for not falling back into my cycle of excuses I cried a little as I did my cool down. WOOHOOO to small victories!




Wednesday workout was the same as Tuesday. But then we found out the treadmill was going to need some work done and we had to stop using it for the time being. Great! Now what are we gonna do? It was time to take our running to the streets. We drove around the neighborhood and clocked how far a mile was. We had a plan and it seemed like it was going to work fine.

Then, on Thursday, it was raining. Josh was a beast and got through his run without a problem. I debated not going for my run. I mean I did have the two kiddos with me and it was cold and wet, as rain has a tendency of being. But in the end, I decided I couldn't let the weather get in the way of my goals this week and hey, a little rain never hurt anyone, right? I loaded Maddie up in the covered jogging stroller and Katie thought jumping rope in the rain would be fun so she grabbed her favorite jump rope and off we went. In my opinion it is MUCH harder running on the actual road than on a treadmill and the extra weight of pushing the stroller was an added challenge. WHEW! We did intervals of 3 min jogging to 1 minute walking and felt good about it when we returned home soaked. 

The weather was nicer today and I'm jamming out to Immortal as my anthem. Before my morning run I decided to weigh in.....213.8! Sah-weet! -3.2 pounds this week, I'll take that! Goal accomplished. *happy dance* It then continued to be a great day. I was super productive, paid bills, cleaned house, had a dance party with some really rad little kiddos AND registered for Blomsday, The Dirty Dash and Color Me Rad! I can't wait!! :)


I am grateful this week for my husband. He was motivated and focused when I wasn't and kept me on track. He ran a mile+ every day this week! Goal accomplished. <3


Six weeks ago this tie on my pants was tight. :)


2 comments:

  1. You helped motivate me to get started on this journey glad I could return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all need a team player to be there to pick up the slack and to kick out butts sometimes. Health is a much easier thing to tackle in pairs, in my opinion at least. Go Team Kent!

    ReplyDelete