Friday, March 15, 2013

No more "later"

I realized this week that I had gotten so focused on working out that I forgot to do the little things that make all the difference to my overall happiness. Like turning up the music and dancing like a total lunatic while I do pretty much anything. I underestimated the power of good music and dancing. Having added that back into my day, my spirits are higher and I'm much less vulnerable to cranky outbursts. Another lapse on my part was nurturing my creative spirit. This is really important to me so it was time to get crafty!

My need for better fitting clothes continues to increase; as does my need to hone in on my inner seamstress. Inspired by the ReFashionista, my plan is to attempt to refashion, refit, reuse and recycle the things I have in my closet and a thrift store score every now and thenI said I was going to practice my sewin' skills and I have been. I started when we were sorting through a clutter pile and I came across some Holly Hobbie patterns my Mother-in-Law had given me. Instead of finding some other place to store them until I was ready to make them, thus crating a new pile somewhere, I decided this was the perfect time for the project. No time is better than the present so.... get to practicing. Maddie was super into it and kept saying, " Make it! Make it!"

Holly Hobbie pillows

I had to reteach myself how to use my sewing machine. This has always been the type of thing that makes me get frustrated really fast, decide it isn't worth it, and give up (or whine to my mom for help). I usually say that I'll do it "later". I even have shelves full of projects started but postponed till "later". That was the next thing I started to tackle this week. I got a little braver and did most of the mending that has been waiting, in some cases, for years. I salvaged some yoga pants for myself, a dress for Katie and a few things that will get passed down to Maddie eventually since they don't fit Katie anymore. The yoga pants are even a size smaller than the ones I have been wearing and fit sooo much better! Score!!

Maddie and I then looked through my stash of patterns and she picked out a dress she liked. In my fabric drawer I found an old Life is good shirt that I had been hoping to salvage somehow. (It had a small hole and has always fit me funny.) I was feeling confident so decided it would be perfect for my first refashion! And it was! Everything went pretty smoothly. I taught myself a lot and I didn't throw any temper tantrums or give up when it was tricky! I am not a quitter. Woohoo! And I have to say I'm pretty proud of the end result. Even Maddie loved it! Katie is also a fan and is requesting to get the next outfit. After that I think I will be confident enough to dismember my own clothes. ;)

Before, during and after! :)


As for my workouts and food tracking this week.... I kicked ass!! I lost the 2 pounds I gained last week plus another 3 bringing me down to 210.2!!!! That is 40 pounds from my top weight. Yay!! I'm starting to plan a mini makeover for when I get under 200. It's so close I can hardly stand it! :)

Laying on the floor after a fun workout.
 
* After reading this to myself I am realizing how so much of my life had been placed into a "later" pile. Exercise? Maybe tomorrow. Eat right? I'll start Monday. Organize the clutter? Let's do it this weekend. Balance the budget? I will in the morning...... Then never follow through. I am sick of not following through. And even worse of setting my goals so low it would be impossible to fail, that is if I set them at all. I know that every day I follow through, is one day further along than I would have been if I hadn't. A year ago if I hadn't started getting on that bike and moving I would still be 250 pounds and wishing I was where I am now or where I will be a year from now as I keep going. No more waiting for later for me. It's spring cleaning time for my "later" piles.*

3 comments:

  1. I love the repurposed t-shirt/dress, wonderful use of your seamstress/creative tendancies.No crankies, no quitting, no "later" - pretty powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here from reading the comments from "Refashionista". Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sewer, but I never thought of taking apart old outfits to re-size them... Now I feel kinda silly. If you want to talk sewing, lemme know, I just started working on my "later" piles myself!

    ReplyDelete